Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Rummage is a fun word to say, Part Deux

What you see before you is my latest acquisition. I am so excited about these rusty old chairs that I found in a trash pile around the corner the other day. One is stationary and the other is a rocker. They would probably cost around 50 dollars a piece in an antique store. I'm going to sand them, treat them with anti-rust stuff, and paint them. You might scoff, turn up your nose, exclaim with derision- nice pieces of junk! But I stand firm in my conviction that these chairs are full of potential and they are just sitting there waiting to be sat upon on a sultry summer evening- waiting for the tiki torches to be lit and the lemonade to be poured. So I raise my glass...to spring! to the struggling azalea seen on the right! to the scrawny neighborhood cat seen in the distant background! to new life for old chairs! Here Here! Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me know when you have a finished product. I'll bring the lemonade.
*******************************
I claim the rocker!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my grandparents used to have chairs just like those. I used to love sitting in their rocker. What a great find in the trash pile. What color are you going to paint them?
I enjoy your blog, Merrill...found my way over here from Jessie's blog. -- annie b. :)

Merrill said...

Hey Annie
I read yours too(and your husband's), and enjoy them very much. I'm really going to try some of your recipes soon. I'm very excited about the chairs, I think I might paint them dark green, because my house is red with green shutters. Restoration hardware sells new chairs like these and they have a lovely aqua color, but I just don't think it would look right in my yard. What color were the ones your grandparents had? You're from Alabama aren't you?

Anonymous said...

Hi Merrill,
Yes, I'm from north Alabama. Russellville, to be exact. (Tiny town up near Florence.) The chairs my grandparents had were sort of aged green. Don't know what color green they started out -- whether dark or light green. I think that green is a classic color for outdoor furniture. Those chairs are great. Maybe you'll post a picture when you are done? :) -- annie

Merrill said...

I've pretty much decided on green-I'll post a picture when they're done...I've never been to Russellville. But I know where Florence is. Thanks for commenting!