Wednesday, May 09, 2007

potty training 2007




I finally decided to bite the bullet and start really potty training Ruthie this week. She has been going on the potty about once a day, and getting a treat for it, and I would keep asking if she needed to go and telling her that when she feels that feeling to let me know so we can go to the potty. She has started really not wanting to be still for diaper changes, and that is what made me decide on Monday that this is the week. Half-way training has been good to build up to this week, but it had to become an all-out assault. So far we are 0-3 for #2, but doing well with #1. She went on the floor twice Monday(I am so thankful for hardwood floors), and not at all yesterday or today. She's 3-0 for #1 today. She has figured out that peepee running down her legs is no fun, and she doesn't want to mess up her big-girl panties. I'm very proud of her, and I'm liking the money we're saving on diapers.




Ruthie is such a big girl, more and more. She is talking up a storm, becoming very opinionated and wanting to do things all by herself. She can express herself, and is really growing up in so many ways, which is bittersweet for me and Jay.




Yesterday Jay was cleaning out our nasty outdoor garbage can and Ruthie and I were playing in Jay's truck cab. (This is one of her favorite pasttimes. She steers, adjusts the radio, puts up the sunshade and takes it down, and we pretend to go get ice-cream. We asked her what flavor she would like and she said, "salami." Yummy.) So as Jay was hosing out the garbage can Ruthie asked "what's Daddy doing?" I said, "He's cleaning out the stinky garbage can." Her reply- "that's sweet of him."


4 comments:

--Shelley said...

i've been doing the half-way method too. i am sure it is kind of confusing for the little guys and girls. i keep saying this summer will be when i do it. but, you may have just inspired me to get after it! he did tell me today he had to poo and then went on the potty. so, we are getting there.

nick, robyn and taylor said...

Yay Ruthie...and yay Mommy, too. I laughed out loud at her reply to the garbage can answer.

Merrill said...

go for it, shelley, I've been surprised at how easily Ruthie has transitioned to peeing in the potty. We're working on the poopoo- for some reason she doesn't want to do it in the potty.

Parks Avenue said...

Good job Ruthie and Merrill! It's not the easiest thing to do, but she'll get it and eventually will make your life a little easier!
-annie