Thursday, June 14, 2007

fridge poetry

Yesterday I stripped my fridge of all it's kitschy decor: magnets, Ruthie's artwork, photos, clippings, comics etc. It is a heavy bag of stuff. Now my fridge looks naked and very white. One of my favorite things on my fridge was my fridge poetry-hundreds of words that you can put together to say things. I can get lost standing in front of the fridge rearranging, hunting, pondering and creating for longer time periods than I am willing to admit. I grew attached to some of our favorites so I thought I'd write them down and share them:

those shadows could chain them
leave their bitter road
smooth the frantic storm
with the light



rock you delirious goddess moon



your love is what I ache for



when tv is out tell a thousand lies



eat chocolate death symphony



heave after smelling his ugly facial sweat



whispering weak in love language



together think about blue blood show swim
after asking the purple sky



she is a true easy friend



crying boy wants mothers breast juice
she wants sleep
aaaah...milk drool


we sing away for sweet her


a retreat in winter please

(Those last three were from my newborn days with Mac. There were many months when Ruthie had to have us sing "Away in a Manger" every night at bedtime.)

8 comments:

Jessie said...

I love those, Merrill. You are so poetic - your whole life is. I want you to come live near me, not just visit!

Anonymous said...

That's so funny that Ruthie wanted Away in a Manger sung to her at bedtime...I had to sing two verses of it to Emily every night at least once.

Anonymous said...

I love the one about milk drool! And by the way, when will you be making your way up the East Coast again? Remember we live in D.C. now, and we'd love to have you come up and do some vacationing at some point in your future--can't believe that I haven't seen you for almost 5 years now! I love seeing the pictures of your children, but it's not the same as getting to meet them for the first time in person! Take care--

Cara

Merrill said...

thanks Cara! I would absolutely love to come up your way soon. There are many happy places I'd like to revisit in your area. We'll see!

Anonymous said...

I like your fridge poetry. I think my favorite is "heave after smelling his ugly facial sweat."

I think it's funny that Ruthie made you sing "Away in a Manger" every night at bedtime. I used to make my mom sing that to me every night, too.

Anonymous said...

It's also funny that my mom wrote almost the exact thing that I did...

Merrill said...

I think it's awesome...I hope Ru will grow up to be as sweet and wonderful as you, Emily, I mean it!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Merrill I can really appreciate this one...

crying boy wants mothers breast juice
she wants sleep
aaaah...milk drool

Amy Summerville