Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Debut of a Blog

Oh the power of a blog! Four letters that form an odd little word that sounds like the name of a friendly monster that might be found under my bed. I am very excited to have this little corner of cyberspace to myself- to exercise my mind and share a little of my soul with whomever might care to listen. I feel like this moment should be heralded by trumpet playing or a ribbon cutting with huge shiny scissors, but alas, it is just me, sitting solitary at my uncomfortable desk, wrapped in a fleecy blanket and thinking about what I need to be doing right now because my baby is taking a nap.

I would like to take this opportunity to relate the story of how my world was shattered last week. It was bedtime for little Ruthie, around 8 o'clock. Bedtime is a glorious word these days, not because I do not enjoy my days with my little girl, but because it is the wrapping up of another day of her life. It means we made it through the day, and we can rest, she slumbering so sweetly in her crib, and me tidying up the house and settling in with a book or magazine, or snuggling with my husband, Jay. It is like a sigh of relief and contentment, internal and external.

So after bedtime prayers, we turned the lamp off, shut the door, and raced to the welcoming arms of the worn leather couch that was a hand me down from my parents. I was trying to beat Jay, so I leaped over the coffee table, and then over Jay, throwing myself gleefully onto the couch, about to win the coveted remote! However, our couch is not anchored to a wall, and it slides backward ever so gently when one sits upon it in a normal manner. My 120 pound frame slamming into it is another matter. The couch shoved backwards, in turn shoving the table behind it backwards. On this table sat the antique globe that lights up so charmingly, illuminating all the continents and countries, including the USSR. I repeat the word "antique." The table gave up its care of the terrestrial ball and it shattered in a glorious crash on our unyielding hardwood floors. Oh, the despair! I was truly horrified and I apologized to my husband, whose grandmother originally owned the globe. He was gracious and forgiving as we picked up the shards of Europe and South America. I cut my finger on Asia, but I am certainly not holding grudges, due to the circumstances.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I cannot stand the thought of leaving your 'comments' looming at zero...and so I will respond. Not to mention the fact that I am at work and I am bored. Friday is the boring day...several people take advantage of our CEO's recent offer to work at home one day a week and Friday is their day of choice. It makes me wonder how many of them actually use it as a 'three day weekend' instead of working, but most of them do not answer to me, so I try not to worry. Today there are 4 others in the office so things are pretty quiet. And me...well, I am preparing myself to move offices on Monday. It is a bittersweet move to me. I have been here for two years and this will be my third office. I am moving upstairs. There are definitely benefits to the move. 1. The new office is bigger. 2. Upstairs is so much quieter and away from the normal distractions. 3. My legs will benefit from the forced exercise of walking up and down the stairs several times a day. But I am sad too. I like the comradery of being with the more friendly people I work with. The upstairs crew is pretty serious. And the bigger disappointment is that I will be painting once again. Both offices that I have had over the past two years have required new paint...and the new office is currently a mint green color. Needless to say I will be breaking out the paintbrush once again.

Anonymous said...

Your writing is a gift. It's a great shame about Jay's grandmother's globe, though. But perhaps it could be a good title for a story: "Merrill, Destroyer of Worlds".