Friday, December 30, 2005

Rummage is a fun word to say

I just got back from a walk around my neighborhood. Today is a lovely day, breezy and warm for the end of December. I go walking frequently and one of the things I enjoy about my neighborhood are the numerous piles of trash that sit by the road for weeks and weeks. I can witness firsthand the biodegradability of certain types of household garbage items. I can also scan each pile for salvageable items. One of the things I love is finding interesting and maybe useful things in people's garbage or in flea markets and antique stores. The good thing about garbage piles is that what you find is free! Today I spotted a footboard and headboard for a twin bed, and it wasn't half bad looking. But I don't need a twin bed. My other interesting find today was a pair of black, skater shoes that looked like the wearer spontaneously combusted while standing in them. The insides were completeley charred. It made me laugh. I kept walking and tried to imagine what could have happened to them, and my spontaneous combustion theory is still the best. Here are some others:

1. shoe owner needed candle holder and only the shoes were available
2. shoe owner burned shoes in a symbolic gesture,
"I'm through running from ___ (fill in the blank)"
3. shoe owner drank a little too much egg nog and took off shoes too close to the fire
4. shoe owner is a smoker and accidentally dropped a cigarette in both shoes, at separate times
5. shoe owner had a very bad case of athlete's foot

Well, as you can see, the possibilities are endless. If any of you kind readers have a theory, please post it and we'll hash this out together.

(Let me clarify by saying I don't rummage through people's garbage. I look at it and see what I can see.)

The other fun thing I saw today was three or four little boys up in a tree. They were laughing and trying to get down, but one of the boys got stuck. I walked by as his mom came to help him out. The boy's jean's pocket was hung on a branch and he was hanging from his jeans, laughing. I smelled fresh laundry when I walked by.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to my sister in laws, if one were so inclined, you could rummage through Wendy's dumpsters looking for special cups that if you turn in 60 something of you can get a free round trip plane ticket in the US. I'm still waiting to see this work out for them before I go dumpster diving.

My charred skater shoe theories...
1. Put way too much hot sauce on his gas station burrito.

2. shoe owner was the Human Torch guy and forgot to take his shoes off before flaming up

Merrill said...

I saw that thing about the Wendy cups on tv, it's true! It takes dumpster diving to a whole new level. And it reveals America's obsession with getting something for nothing.

I like your theories-especially the gas station burrito theory. That is way too close to reality. I raise my glass to gas station cuisine-skinny hot pink hot dogs, freezer burnt burritos and nachos with plastic cheese!
Hey Brian, have you heard the theme song for Tom Thumb(convenience store extraordinaire)?
Well, here you go.

Every day low prices and convenience too,
You could say Tom Thumb is a dream come true.

Catch a dream (catch a dream)(echo)
Catch a dream (catch a dream)
Catch a dream (catch a dream)
At Tom Thumb!

This song goes a long way to cheer me up on a bad day.