Friday, January 06, 2006

Quiero Viernes

Last day of my work week
Why art thou so elusive?
My days press up to your precipice
Eager for resolution, Envious of reputation.

Why dost thou postpone thy glorious arrival?
I would herald thee with the clarion calls
of a thousand burnished trumpets
Yet thou art fickle in thy attentions
And feckless in thy absolution.

Thou wanton wanderer!
Fain would I clasp thee to my bosom
And make thee mine ere the dreaded dawn
But, alas! Thou art beyond my feeble grasp
And thy flight is swift-
Only a flirtatious glance is mine.

Torture me not, I entreat thee!
Let they longed for presence
Relieve my yearnings and
Usher me into that state of rest
My languorous soul desires.
_________

I wrote this during my stint as an administrative assistant at the bank with the green logo. It is of course hyperbolical. I loved Fridays. They are still good even though I am "unemployed" because I know I will get two days with my husband. Tonight we are going to grill out even though it is 40 something degrees outside(and supposed to go down to 28). I defy you, winter! Ha! I light the gas grill and may the aroma of 7 oz. sirloins drive you out of your mind! For those of you in colder climes I know you're saying, 40 degrees? That's basically summer! I must admit I have lived on the Gulf Coast too long. I like my weather like I like my salsa- mild and chunky with a hint of lime.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Good poem, Merrill, and yes, 40 degrees is not even jacket weather here....but, warmer weather is on the way, because it is up in the 50s here today!

Anonymous said...

I sat outside a cafe with no jacket and thought it felt great today and it was in the 40's. Crazy how you adjust so fast, back in Dixie I'd been shaking my boots off.