Monday, January 23, 2006

New Orleans, chocolate city

I have been thinking about New Orleans Mayor Nagin's comments on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. He said New Orleans should be rebuilt as a “chocolate” city. Like most of America, I was astounded and shocked at his statement, until I actually thought about it on a deeper level. Then I decided that I agree with Mayor Nagin, or with what I'm sure he wishes he had meant during that speech.

First of all, chocolate is a substance known for its diversity. On the shelves of any drug store, convenience store or specialty confectioner's shop you can find chocolate in many colors, shapes, textures and sizes. Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate and swirled combinations of those mentioned. Bars, blocks, hearts, eggs, bunnies, pellets, cups, and balls. Chocolate can be consumed as a beverage, savored as a frozen treat or drizzled on whatever you please. Chocolate is made in countries all over the world, each creation with its own special claim to uniqueness and decadence. To claim a city as a “chocolate” city must mean it is a place of varied peoples, talents and cultures. That anyone would be welcome there, and that every class, color and flavor would enrich the city's cultural and physical landscape.

Secondly, chocolate is a delicacy that is known as a “comfort” food. It is something people crave and demand on a regular basis to make them happy. Chocolate contains caffeine, which is a stimulant- energizing body and mind. It is a pick-me-up on a bad day. Some people consume chocolate every day, almost as a daily ritual, like drinking coffee. To say a city is a “chocolate city” would imply that people come for miles to get their fill. That people crave the city and find themselves energized by its many and varied offerings; art, entertainment, music, food, history,architecture. It would mean a city that when you leave, you immediately think of the next time you'll be able to visit again.

Third, chocolate is a language of love. What do lovers traditionally bring their sweethearts on Valentine's Day or on an anniversary? A box of chocolates. Pick any holiday and chocolate is an appropriate and meaningful gift that says, “ I love you.” Chocolate is purely sensual, a melting pleasure of smooth creaminess on your tongue. It is dark and lovely, speeding up your heart rate and making you close your eyes with delight. It is white and tantalizingly sweet, a precious commodity that demands delicacy lest it overwhelm you with it's flavor. To describe a city as a “chocolate” city makes me think of a place where love is a rule. Where Desire is a street that people walk down and find the face of love, not the end of a gun. A city whose people reach down and lift up their brothers and sisters and find the greatest pleasure there, where pride ends and charity begins.

Perhaps Mayor Nagin is an idealist, without even realizing it. And I know that New Orleans can be rebuilt, is being rebuilt. All of us watching from the outside or those lending a hand should dispense with the cynicism and hope and work for a revitalized city, a “chocolate” city as we redefine the term. Keep in mind that chocolate is messy. You can't handle it long without getting your hands sticky. But we can work together in New Orleans and in all of our cities to create places we can savor. Cities whose flavor is unique and enticing, and whose self-effacing love binds up all wounds.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Thank you, thank you, we're Sexual Choclate!"

Cara said...

This is some great writing, Merrill....thanks for sharing! And frankly, no, I don't believe that Mayor Nagin had in mind your inclusive and thoughtful reflections on chocolate whatsoever when he originally spouted off (although I do agree with you that later on I think he wished to God that it WAS what he'd originally meant!) I can only hope that his comments help to ignite open discussion about not only the standard white-against-black racism, but the previously untouchable and ignored racist comments of black-against-white. No form of racism is ever okay...and there is no justification for it, even though there can and should be a constant desire to seek to understand and alleviate the kinds of conditions and circumstances that have exacerbated it. Although it has been the general rule for all people groups everywhere throughout history to believe that they were somehow superior to all other people groups surrounding them, the love of Christ begs us, no, commands us, to step outside of this human meanness and smallness and to live large in the overwhelming light of His freedom. "There is neither Jew nor Greek, male nor female, slave nor free....we are all one in Christ Jesus", as the Apostle Paul reminded us!

I love this piece; thanks again for writing it! This is some quality work (in my unbiased opinion!).

Merrill said...

Thanks Cara. It was actually published in my local paper this past Saturday! It won a "blue ribbon" award which means I get to go eat lunch with the editors. It was all very exciting. Thanks for your affirmation, and very pertinent comments.

Cara said...

How exciting! How did the lunch go? Will you write more columns for them in the future? What's the name of your local paper?

Also, would you shoot me an email from the address you're currently using? I've tried sending you emails to several different addresses now, and they all get bounced back (I must have written down your new one incorrectly or something!) Thanks so much--keep me posted!

Merrill said...

I haven't gone to lunch yet, I suppose they'll send an invitation soon. I guess I'll write more if I am similarly inspired. I want to view this as a door slowly swinging open, but I don't want to be naive. It was, after all, just a letter to the editor. My paper is the Mobile Press Register. I'll send you an email soon. I'm enjoying your blog!