Friday, January 20, 2006

saving the planet;one tv show at a time

Today I did my part in saving the planet. I took months and months worth of daily newspapers to the recycling drop off place. It was a good feeling dumping all that paper in the bin. I was amazed at how little it was in that big bin, when at my house it was taking over our lives.

Speaking of feeling, today I was watching the Today show, which I usually turn on for a little while every morning, to keep my finger on the pulse of the nation. (Hey, I try.) It was the usual, slightly interesting drivel, including a mini-concert by a female artist by the name of KT Tunstall. I thought she had a great voice, but I was too busy chasing my cranky 12 month old around to focus and decide if I liked her or not. I was sitting on the couch later and listening to a psychobabbler talking about single moms reemerging into the dating scene when I discovered I was disgusted with this lady's tone. These are the words I constantly hear as the Today people discuss issues with "experts." " You're entitled" "listen to your heart" " you deserve this or that" " you deserve to feel this way or that way" " feel feel feel" etc. etc. Very self focused, emotion focused. If you sort of tune out, it all sounds good and it makes you go, ok, that makes me feel good. But it is the voice of our culture, humanistic and ear-tickling.

Like Oprah. (I watch her sometimes, not much lately because of what I'm about to say.) I thought of starting a blog called "Deconstructing Oprah." Anyway. On one of her first shows of the new season she introduced the theme of the whole season and had t-shirts for sale with the logo. The theme was "What have you done today to make yourself proud?" I wanted to barf. (barf is a great word, greatly underused in this day and age). The shirt said " what have you done today?" I know Oprah is very proud of herself. She gives away tons of money to worthy causes. I have watched enough to say that she is very generous. But the whole point of "doing" good works is not to make yourself proud. That turns your work into meaninglessness. I can't imagine doing and giving with the only goal being self satisfaction. I'm sure she would say that she does it for the people, that it's not just about making yourself proud. And I'm sure she genuinely cares for the people she helps. I know that she isn't monotheistic, but she seems to believe in some sort of create-your-own spirituality, and so there is no specific higher power to bring glory to, only herself. That gives you the power to create your own mission too.

rant rant rant

I would also like to comment on another cultural phenomenon, that of American Idol. I have only watched one or two episodes in former seasons, usually the last ones. This week the new season started and I watched 2 episodes which showed the auditions. This was great entertainment. I haven't laughed so much at a tv show since I don't know when. My observations:
1-This show is a wonderful example of objectivity versus subjectivity. These people really think they have (vocal) talent. Most of them really don't. At all.
2-I think some people try out even though they know they are horrible because they know they'll get some tv time. Everyone wants to be famous.
3-I think some of the people see the nontalented try outs and think "well, I have more talent than they do" and so they try out. I was almost convinced that I could try out and become the next American Idol. (HA HA!)
4-The best moment(well, one of them) was when the girl started singing Paula Abdul's song and it was horrible. Simon said something like, "wow, it is rare that you find a remake that is better than the original..." That was hilarious.
5-I loved the moment with the cowboy who had never been out of his hometown. He really had raw talent and the judges saw that and gave him a yellow sheet. He was awkward and adorable.

I guess that's all for now. I'm not sure if I've been sucked in enough to watch the whole season. I need to devote that time to reading, currently 1776 by David McCullough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Merrill! Yes, I was Anonymous in an earlier comment simply because I couldn't remember my username off the top of my head. (I know, I know.....wait until you're 31.....old age and forgetfulness come roaring in like a flood). Anyway, I was thinking about the "you're entitled" conversation you were having with such great gusto with the Today Show experts and journalists. I am combining those thoughts with a comment Jessie made about your previous New Orleans post: about how tempting it is to fall into these traps when we live in a culture that is so focused on self-absorption. I am finding myself really, really challenged by what "church" looks like, and what things we are to consider fundamental to our faith and to our choice of church to attend. How much of my church preference is shaped by my preferred aesthetics? architecture? musical style? type and length of preaching? denominational structure? programs available?

We have developed a consumer identity (a marketplace of churches to choose from, if you will), and so it's easy to start thinking that it's perfectly acceptable for me to simply choose a church based on what makes me feel good, what makes me happy, etc. ("I'm entitled to go to a church where everyone is happy and speaks my native language as their native language, too, and where everyone grooms and bathes themselves in a manner that I find acceptable, and where everyone wants the same things out of their small group that I do, and where everyone shares the same cultural values that I do...." etc.)

I find that God continues to place me in church settings that are outside my comfort zone....places where I have to step outside of myself and my preferences and where much of what I might prefer based on my personality, aesthetic preferences, my background, my training, etc., I can't have. Although this makes me constantly re-evaluate what corporate worship looks like in any culture, any language, any country, and it's darn hard work to be having to think about this on a constant, weekly, often daily basis, I am grateful for the opportunity to consistently be reminded that I often can't have what I naturally want.

I am literally having this very discussion with members of my own church right now....as we talk about the things we want out of our church that we can't have (for reasons of size, finances, and abilities), and as we still recognize that we are called together not because of our preferences, but because of a common commitment to Christ. As such, some of us may have virtually nothing in common with one another. That's what I love about Galations and Colossians: the fact that it's clear that Christ has through his very own body created the bridge we need as human beings to one another. So I may have nothing in common with the man sitting across from me in fellowship hall.....but because Christ forms the bridge between us, it is all the "connection" that is necessary.

But in churches where Christ is literally the ONLY bridge, and the only thing that some members share in common with one another, it is a wonderful opportunity to practice preferring one another above ourselves. I assure you this is not something I naturally prefer....but Christ continues to call me (and all believers) to it. I am in a state of constant stretch as I seek to understand the hobbies, the lives, the cultures, the schools, the opinions, the feelings, the worship styles, and the senses of humor of the very disparate people who are grouped together only by Christ.

A commitment to this type of often multi-cultural, multi-generational, multi-class church is directly anti-thetical to everything you heard on the Today Show this morning. It would be so much easier to do things in the way the Today Show is recommending....but we would miss the sheer glory of seeing Christ be more and more fully formed in each of us....as we through forbearance with one another and a constant dying to self continue to resemble Him more and more....as we remember that it is about His will, not ours....that we are to be people of humble and grateful obedience, not people of always getting and choosing our own way and preferences because "it just feels right" and "we're entitled to feel comfortable in our church home!"

Thanks for hearing me out....I loved Ruthie's adorable birthday photos, by the way!

Merrill said...

Cara, You sound like you went to Seminary or something. But really- I value your vulnerability, and your real-life struggles as you know Him more. I've been waiting for a new post on your blog. Just keep posting comments on mine and that will suffice! love ya!