Monday, July 21, 2008

Swimming Lessons




One of our fun activities this summer has been swim lessons for Ruthie. The lessons were at the Coast Guard Aviation Training Center (ATC) in Mobile, which is conveniently located for us, and fun because of the helicopters and airplanes landing and taking off nearby- a 20 month old boy's dream. (You can see the HH-65 "Dolphin" in the bottom picture.) In retrospect I would have had Mac in lessons too, but I didn't think it would work out to do both of them back to back. Ruthie cried at the beginning of each lesson for the first couple of weeks, but then she really looked forward to it. She loved her teacher Miss Autumn, and she really has become more comfortable in the water. They learned how to safety-slide in, float, "crab crawl" around the edge of the pool, and even backstroke and freestyle swimming. I think she could swim on her own, but she still freaks out about it and starts going under. One-on-one intense lessons would probably do the trick. I'm sad the lessons are over, and we'll definitely do it again next summer.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

helicopters and airplanes landing and taking off nearby...also my 28 year old husband's dream.

Merrill said...

true

It's me, shannon said...

Merrill,
i have been thinking about Ruthie's reading lately. How is she doing with learning the sounds? Do you want me to give the sequence of the letter sounds that I teach; they correlate with the Bob books. E-mail me and let me know.
Shannon