Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Inside my head

August 1
Naptime.
My mind is racing, cluttered with so many thoughts, wishes, lists, ideas and hopes.
-Sweep the floor, it is bad.
-Those **&%#@ ants are back!
Ok I want to spend time with God. My chair awaits.
-Remember to call Katie.
-Ask Jay, don't forget to ask Jay about Sat. night.
-Diapers; add diapers to the list. And eggs.
-I wonder if Jen emailed me back.
-Laundry in the washer. Need to put it in dryer.
Then the phone rings. 25 minutes gone, chatting with mom. It was needed, but my chair is still empty.
Oh! I need to upload those photos Cary sent from the cruise. It can wait. But I really want to see the pictures!
I sit down, my mind has a hard time slowing down. Have I become ADD? No, I am a mom and wife and daughter and sister-in-law and friend and neighbor and housekeeper and cook and yet I am me. I want to write poetry and paint the chair for the bathroom and hang the old window somewhere ummm, and write a book when I get a chance. And what's for dinner and dang, I forgot to get someone to sub for me in the nursery Sunday! 1st of the month...pay mortgage.

Back to Spurgeon. He challenges me to glean from God's word-to feast on the meaty promises that satisfy-to be quenched and full.

"Our Master's field is very rich; behold the handfuls. See, there they lie before thee, poor timid believer! Gather them up, make them thine own, for Jesus bids thee take them. Be not afraid, only believe! Grasp these sweet promises, thresh them out by meditation and feed on them with joy."

This is my soul's need. Open the word. Open it. My mind has settled. I'm in. I'm there and I'm focused. The monitor speaks. The boy is awake. The boy is ready for his "nack." Ok Lord, we'll try again tomorrow. Oh, but your sweetness did invade my soul and I will greet my son with your kiss.

5 comments:

nick, robyn and taylor said...

This all sounds very familiar to me. Hang in there.

Mirinda said...

I can sooooo relate....though you said it better than I would LOL

Danny and Jennifer White said...

Great writing! And oh sooo true.

Anonymous said...

Well written, Merrill. I remember the days.

--Shelley said...

Two verses spoke to me the other day. I looked at an Attributes of God sheet from an SBP notebook. "Rest & Refreshment" stood out. I thought these verses were great. Acts 3:19--Therefore repent and return so that so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord. And Jeremiah 31:25--For I satisfy the weary ones and refresh everyone who languishes.

Also I can totally relate to the spiraling thoughts in your brain. I get so sidetracked all the time.