Friday, May 22, 2009

The Big Move- Let it be known

We are officially gearing up to move to Alexandria, Virginia this summer. Jay got an active duty contract with the Coast Guard and they are moving us sometime in July or even late June. It is very bittersweet for us- leaving friends and family is heart-wrenching, but the adventure of a new city plus the step into active duty CG is very exciting at the same time.

The kids are small enough to not be too affected by a move, and Ruthie is very excited about the snow we will see "up north," as she would say. We are committed to web-cam conferencing, writing letters and staying in touch with those we love "down south," and we would love guests as we will have room, and we are basically going to be in a suburb of DC. Lots to see and do, and educational too! I spent about 8 years living in Virginia and Maryland growing up in a Navy home, and I loved it. I am excited about finding places we used to visit and seeing places I used to love- the Appalachian Trail, Potomac River, various State and National Parks, and even some restaurants I'd like to find. I know God's plan for our family is good, and we will try to embrace it and trust him with all our hearts.

Jay is currently on his way back from driving up to VA to find us a house (a rental, b/c houses up there are out of control expensive), which he did, so we really need to pray that our house here sells quickly! It is nerve-wracking to try to keep our house in order for showing when I have a month old baby, but that's just another reason to depend on the Lord for "help!" It is good that Jay will be home today or tomorrow too. So anyway, I'll keep posting as we begin this adventure.

8 comments:

Danny and Jennifer White said...

I will so miss seeing you guys at church!I am really sad that you are moving.However, I know that God does have great plans for you!!!

Jennifer said...

Well...'let it be known' that I still am very sad. I cried about it again on Thursday.

The McNeills said...

Congrats on your big move and on the active duty transition! We've loved our military lifestyle and, even with all the moves, it's been a really neat experience. Moving with little ones is always a bit tricky (we moved ON my due date once), but with all the military in that area I'm sure you'll have the support you need in no time. If you want to get connected right away, check out the OCF (Officer Christian Fellowship) website. It's an awesome ministry and I know they could hook you up with fellowship/Bible studies/churches in that area even before you get there! Good luck!

Parks Avenue said...

Still...I'm sad:-(

Anonymous said...

I am very sad as well. You have been such a blessing to our family in so many ways. This will be a great adventure for your family. You will bless and touch people up there the same way you have here. Love ya.
Sally

Anonymous said...

I am so pumped for you guys!!!! also that is amazing about Harris weight!!! I am so glad you went ahead with the C-section. Love you Go Coast Guard!!!! Jenny Dye

Danelle said...

oh Merrill. I will miss seeing your sweet face at church but it is very exciting to move to a new city! You're always home at GRACE.

Anonymous said...

Did you find a place yet?

Cara