Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Super Big Gulp anyone??

The convenience store du jour in these parts is known as the 7 Eleven. It is a fun place where you can get a hotdog, chips and a drink for under 3 bucks. Amazing. The 7 Eleven holds fond memories for me. When I lived in Virginia Beach, VA as a kid we used to go to one all the time for sodas and candy, especially during the summer. The cool thing to do was to mix all the soda flavors from the fountain together- it was known as a "Suicide." Sounds so daring and wild and dangerous (like Ice Man- "I am (pause) dangerous"...click your teeth together). My brother and Dad loved the Super Big Gulp which was a soda the size of a 5 gallon bucket for a buck or something. What a bargain, and you could get cheap refills too. I'm pretty sure that in the movie "Say Anything" with Jon Cusack and Ione Skye, they walk across the parking lot of a 7 Eleven and he moves her out of the way of some broken glass on their first date. This is how she KNOWS he is a gentleman. Anyway- farewell Tom Thumbs and Circle Ks, hello 7 Elevens!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I was never a fan of the suicide, but I did like to mix the cherry and coke flavored slushies together. :)

Anonymous said...

Merrill...we called it a "bomb"...yum

Shay

Unknown said...

Love 711. I grew up drinking .99$ slurpies! on 7/11 you get a free one....guess we have to wait 11 more months for that big treat! :)