Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spring in the District

On Greg and Kelli's last day we all rode the metro down to DC to check out the sights. It was the perfect day- sunny, breezy and with clear blue skies. The kids loved climbing on this random, strange tree on the Mall. It is odd, but sort of like a natural jungle gym.

There were ducklings, (or as Jay always corrects me, "ducklins") swimming in the Reflecting Pool.


The beautiful White House.

The gang, minus Greg. After this we split up- G and K went out to lunch, and me and my kids ate a picnic, then ventured out to find the Old Post Office and head home.



We found this lovely red door on an Episcopal church, by a little garden.



Here is the view down Pennsylvania Avenue from the tower of the Old Post Office. It is a charming old building built in 1889 that has a food court and shops, plus a tower that houses the Bells of Congress, gifts from England on the bicentennial celebration of the end of the Revolutionary War.




The view west.



Our closest metro stop happened to be the US Navy Memorial, which has a fountain, signal flags, and these relief sculptures showing different aspects of the Navy. This one is for the Coast Guard and shows a SAR mission. I also found the Naval Aviation sculpture, one about Carriers, and one about families waiting for their men at sea. I'm so glad we "stumbled" upon this great memorial that reminded me so much of my dad.

I loved this sculpture of a sailor- he is so strong, the way his legs are planted, and his expression of looking, watching, guarding. I like how his shoulders are hunched slightly, but broad, with his collar turned up against the weather. The way he is situated he is actually looking out on a map of the world- the seas he has traveled or might one day travel in his service to the US.

So after our time with the Sailor, we caught the metro home- I felt very much the city mom with my double stroller, navigating the metro with three kids.

No comments: