Monday, February 07, 2011

Should have studied more...

In the words of Jay, I should have studied more for my glucose tests, because I failed both of them. This means I have gestational diabetes. I was pretty shocked and upset about it, I guess because any complication in a pregnancy is unwelcome and unsettling, plus I only have one of the 5 or so risk factors associated with GD. I am now going on 34 weeks, which means I really only have 5 weeks left to deal with my diet changes and finger-pricking glucose testing every day. I am thankful for that.





I think this has also been good for me in understanding what my Dad lives with every day. He has Type 2 Diabetes as a result of the cancer treatment he received back in the 70s. He is very fit and can't just lose 20 lbs and be "better" like most people diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Constantly having to think about what you can eat, what you can't eat, how you feel based on what you ate, making sure the portion sizes are correct, dealing with feeling crummy much of the time- all these things really take the joy out of eating and just wear on you.

For the baby's sake, and for the purpose of not having a 13 lb baby, I have to severely limit my carb intake throughout the day. I have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day; once in the morning before I eat and then two hours after each meal. This is all because my body is not producing enough insulin to regulate the amount of sugar in my blood. And for this we can blame my placenta. The placenta releases hormones that block the proper "clearing out" of that glucose in my blood. Pregnant women have to produce up to 3 times more insulin than normal, and some of them just don't do it. That's when you get labeled with gestational diabetes. Interesting, huh? I thought so. Oh, and as soon as you deliver, your body goes back to normal (except in a very few cases).

So there you have it. Five weeks to go, and then I can eat a whole cake!

4 comments:

The McNeills said...

Bummer. Hope that the weeks will pass quickly for you... and that all the inconvenience will fade as you hold you sweet healthy baby! Then eat cake!

Donna said...

Oh no- I'm so sorry. I'm telling you- every woman I know that "failed" the glucose test was thin and healthy. I remember passing mine (and I eat ridiculous amounts of carbs and sugars) and sitting next to an aerobics instructor who failed hers and I apologized saying "it's not fair." You have such a good attitude- 5 weeks- please fly by.

Mirinda said...

That stinks- I feel your pain. I had it with both boys...but thankfully it did go away each time. Funny thing is I didn't have it with Myrick....and all three of my kids were exactly 8 pounds!! It was interesting to learn about carbs though....that was the first time in my life I ever had to pay attention to my diet (now it's a given, thank you hormones and getting older) and I learned a lot. But the sticking....stinks :(

Jessie said...

Sorry Merrill! That is sort of miserable. I would love to eat cake with you - and I'll hold Peter - after he comes!