Thursday, March 02, 2006

My recent post was very long. And heavy. Now I will write something of short duration and perhaps lightheartedness.

Today it is 80 degrees. Hot. I actually prefer it to be cooler on this, the second day of March. This is craziness.

I was thinking this week that the words "revelry" and "reverie" are a mere letter away from each other when pronounced. They are both things that I enjoy greatly. Mardi Gras just wrapped up here in Mobile, the birthplace of the festival. I don't enjoy Mardi Gras. I find it a tasteless and mostly pointless celebration by people who aren't even Catholics, which is who it is supposed to be for. The idea is to party like heck because, oh no, Ash Wednesday will come and then 40 days of giving something up until Easter. That is certainly some sort of hypocrisy. I love fun and revelry, but not with the idea of living it up "while you can," and then live a pleasing life that might make God forget all your excesses of pleasure during Mardi Gras. Hoping that our good will outweigh our bad is a fruitless hope. That's why we have grace. I like this quote by Nobel Peace Prize nominee/uber-musician Bono:

"You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics--in physical laws--every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It's clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the Universe. I'm absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "As you reap, so will you sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff.
Bono
In Conversation with Michka Assayas


The whole idea, though, is to try to not do stupid stuff (Romans 6). Because you realize the price of grace was a cross.


Grace, she takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain
It could be her name
Grace, it's the name for a girl
It's also a thought that could change the world
And when she walks on the street you can hear the strings
Grace finds goodness in everything
Grace, she's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk
She travels outside of karma, karma
She travels outside of karma
When she goes to work you can hear the strings
Grace finds beauty in everything
Grace, she carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips between her fingertips
She carries a pearl in perfect condition
What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark no longer stings
Because Grace makes beauty out of ugly things
Grace finds beauty in everything
Grace finds goodness in everything

(from U2's album All that You Can't Leave Behind)


Speaking of u2, I recently made a list of my favorite songs of all time. Making lists makes me feel organized. When I told Jay this, he laughed at me. Not with me so much as at me. So I will post an unflattering photo of him someday. I know that feeling is not being, but sometimes it can help you become. So there. So here are some of my favorite songs of all time, in no particular order. (this could be a Time-Life cd collection on TBS)

1. November Rain Guns N Roses
2. Closer to Fine Indigo Girls
3. Galileo Indigo Girls
4. Language or the Kiss Indigo Girls
5. Angel Aerosmith
6. Bobby McGee Janis Joplin
7. Sunrays and Saturdays Vertical Horizon
8. With or Without You U2
9. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For U2
10. Beautiful Day U2
11. One U2
12. Drive The Cars
13. Time After Time Cyndi Lauper
14. Night Swimming REM
15. Satellite Dave Matthews
16. Ramble On Led Zeppelin
17. Babylon David Gray
18. Round Here Counting Crows

These are songs I can't get over. I turn them up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Night Swimming. Takes me back to freshman year of college.

I like making lists, too. :)
-- annie

Anonymous said...

Merrill... I feel so influential in this list -- deserved or underserved. Great list. Cary

Anonymous said...

Actually, Catholic's celebrate Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) in excitement of the coming of Ash Wednesday and the 40 days of Lent or the coming of Easter. This is 40 days of prayer, fasting, and for some people "giving soemthing up". However, many Catholics opt to do something extra like volunteering time or attending extra bible study groups and church services like Stations of the Cross, weekly.I don't know many "practicing" Catholics (you know-the ones that actually go to church every Sunday, not the ones who only show up on Christmas and Easter) that live it up, then give it up. The Lenten season is a very deep and personal observance of Christ's sacrafice for us. From Palm Sunday to the Day of Ressurection, this celebration and the reenactments make me feel like I have actually experienced Jesus's last days on earth. Almost like I am a part of the scripture myself.

No matter where you live, people will always find a reason to become drunken idiots. Unfortunatley, Catholics receive bad ridicule for a celebration that has gone wrong. I guarantee if you ask 90% of the people in Bienville Square what Ash Wednesday celebrates, they wouldn't have a clue. I believe we should put shame where shame is due. It is the people who attend Mardi Gras that give it a bad name, not the event itself.