Friday, February 01, 2008

Closer to Turpen-Fine

This past Saturday night Jay and I went to a really great concert. I was trying to think of a concert to pretend to have been to that would solidify our 80s hairband follower status, like Cinderella, because my last concert post was about the Poison concert last summer. But I think most of those bands have run out of hairspray and can't tour anymore. This concert I picked, and it was one of my favorites ever. It was the Indigo Girls and Brandi Carlile. Most people have heard of the Indigo Girls, but Brandi Carlile is an up and coming artist from Seattle. I was probably more excited about her, since I've been hearing her on my favorite local station (92 Zew) and I immediately loved her voice and the impressive lyrics she writes. I have lots of fun Indigo Girl memories from college, mainly roadtripping-top-of-the-lungs sing alongs accompanied by crazy hand motions while pondering the meaning of life kind of things. I'd love to be able to transport you to the concert to see and hear and feel what it felt like, but I think it is hard to do. I will tell you what I saw- a beautiful old theatre, redone like new, shiny and grand. I saw Brandi Carlile, about the size of a Barbie on the stage as I looked down, down-with skinny leg jeans and pale barefeet sticking out, one turning in awkwardly like a little girl, tapping to the music. There was a cello player whose deep resonant playing added the soulful background the the acoustic guitars. I saw Brandi leaning in to the microphone and filling the theatre with her amazing tone and range. I saw the Indigo Girls play, singing their philosopher songs and inviting the crowd to sing along. I heard a guy behind me scream out "Galileo!" every time they paused between songs. I heard amazing two-part and three-part harmony(when they called Ms Carlile back out to sing with them), and the rollicking strains of the accordion as the Indigo Girls sang into the night.

*One interesting note- we barely made it in time for the concert because the #$*&*% Mardi Gras parades were rolling and we got stuck on the wrong side of one and had to follow it forever.

*The one baby in the entire theatre sat beside me. Ironic to say the least. When I see babies out that late I usually jump to judgment..." I can't believe that mom has her baby out this late!" But you know, I don't know their situation-maybe their child care fell through, or they coundn't afford to pay someone etc etc. The benefit of the doubt is a good thing. Especially when the doubt comes to sit beside you and claps and smiles and is generally a sweet baby.

2 comments:

sunnyday04 said...

Ah, what a great review. I went to the concert on Tuesday in Fayetteville, Arkansas. It was just as amazing as you described it. It was my first time seeing the Indigo Girls, and my 5th seeing Brandi (since September!). I'm smitten to say the least. I cannot even begin to express how magical the evening was. They should always tour together because I feel they bring out the best in each other. It is a truly special combination of talent.
Brandi played a new song in Fayetteville that you should check out. It's called "Looking Out"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tmdd53Vih3k

nick, robyn and taylor said...

Aww man, I'm jealous. I do love me some Indigo Girls and haven't listened to them in forever! But now I have "Closer to Fine" and "Galileo" in my head and for that I thank you. Seriously. Gotta go try to find those songs.

Robyn