Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Supercuts

So the kids were awake a bit too early Saturday morning. I put them back to bed and I must have fallen asleep pretty hard. I woke up a little after seven, when Harris woke up. I went downstairs and Ruth and Mac were happily coloring at the dining room table. I walked into the kitchen and saw a clump of hair on the floor so I confronted Ruthie, thinking she had pulled out some of the hair in the ziploc bag from Harris's hair cut the other day. (I had already seen her playing in the bag and had told her to leave it alone.) Ruth said it was not his hair. Ok. So that meant it was her hair. What? Yes. Mac and Ruth got creative with the kid's safety scissors, and you can see Little Mr. Gappy above. While Ruthie was telling me about it, Mac walked up with that crazy gap in his bangs and I couldn't contain myself. It was so funny to imagine them cutting each other's hair. I saw a huge clump in the trash, and two different clumps in the play room, and I got two more clumps out when I brushed her hair a bit later; which means Ruthie cut a good bit of her own hair. The funny thing is you can't even tell. I think she just gave herself some nice layers. So now they know to only cut PAPER and APPROVED MATERIALS. And Ruthie must have a future in cosmetology. Well, I guess for women's haircuts, not so much men's.

I think cutting yourself or a siblings hair is sort of a rite of passage in childhood. I told this story to friends at a birthday party later this same day and they all had great stories of such haircuts.
Suzanne, who cut Harris's hair this week, was there, and I told her that the kids said "we just wanted to be like Miss Suzanne." She thought it was hilarious.

Do you have stories about crazy haircutting when you were a kid? Let's hear 'em. (I think I only ever cut a Barbie's hair. And she ended up basically buzzed. We called her Miss Shorn. Sad. She was formerly Tropical Barbie with long beautiful locks. Oh, and speaking of hair, I think I'm going to donate my hair to Locks of Love. It is the longest I have ever had it, but I am sick of it. Not sure Locks of Love would really want it though. I think it's kind of dead at the bottoms. Hmmm. We'll see.....I can see a letter from:


Locks of Love Inc.
1111 Hair Avenue
Hairrisonville, PA
11111



Dear Ms. Hodges,
Thank you for the kind donation of your hair. Unfortunately, we were not able to use it for a wig or other hairpiece due to the funk-nastiness, crustification, and general unsatisfactory condition of the hair. Our criteria include a certain level of healthiness and vitality, color and thickness, which your hair just did not meet. We hope you will consult a hairologist, change shampoos, and please, please, for the love of Pete, never attempt to grow your hair long again. We again thank you for your thoughtfulness and selflessness in giving your hair to a worthy cause, but we regretfully return the aforementioned hair and hope you will find a good use for it. (Others have found redemption in weaving the rejected hair into a dog sweater, or a hanging plant holder, or even perhaps a tea cosy- all useful and practical items for which human hair is quite a choice material.) If you have any questions or comments, feel free to address them to me personally.

Since-hair-ly,

Harry M. Ann

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I just had a flashback to all the letters we 'wrote' to people back in the day. :)

My Thoughts Exactly said...

Another use: fill panty hose with your discarded hair and use it to soak up oil spills. Caveat, as found on hair donation website: "Just don't include filthy hair or fur that has stuff stuck to it." So shampoo, cut out that stray piece of sticky gum, and your hair could save the Gulf. ;)

Merrill said...

OOh, that is a good one, Beth, thanks. i'll be sure to save the gulf next month when I'm down there.