Friday, February 02, 2007

old-school obsession

Every once in a while we break out the old Nintendo. I say every once in a while because Jay is an obsessive compulsive Nintendo player. Once he has gripped the rectangle controls, there's no going back. I have to pry it out of his hands at midnight or later so he can stumble into bed, eyes glazed over and thumbs twitching. He is really good at Nintendo. He can rescue the princess in Super Mario Bros. in no time, and he can play Tetris in the hundreds of thousands score level, and he wins the Super Tecmo bowl every time. It is amazing. He does admit to his obsession, which is the first step toward beating it.

I on the other hand, am not good at playing Nintendo. I get killed by anything that moves in Super Mario Bros., including myself. I get very frustrated, chasing mushrooms down chasms and biting the big one at the hand of annoying flying turtles. I get frantic playing Tetris, and I can't play it for very long. I guess it's because I spent my childhood READING and PLAYING OUTDOORS. Or maybe I have limited thumb dexterity. I don't know. But I think it's time to pack up the old gaming system for a while. It is fun to watch people our age when they see the box at our house...their eyes light up and they can't wait to get their hands on the controls. It is definitely a fun relic to keep around. I bet we could make some money off of it on ebay though....hmmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have fun! Cannot believe that you still have Nintendo! LOL!

The only games I played growing up were board, card, and computer games (I still remember one that I played with you-something about a "Gold Mine.") I spent my childhood reading and playing outside, too! Remember Mandie & Nancy Drew?! I have to get those for Anna & Gracie to read (in a few years)!! Somehow, I lost my collections with all the moves!! Grrrrr. I loved my Mandie & ND books!

Goodness-I just looked up the Mandie books and there are now 40 in the series! I think I only had 18 of them-I don't recognize any of the new titles. I remember going to the Christian Book Store the day the new books came out so I could read the next adventure! LOL! I cannot wait til Anna is old enough to read them! She'll love them (although she is a lil princess!) I hope she loves them! Zach loves the "Hardy Boys!"

Those were great adventures!!

Meri