Thursday, January 10, 2008

Local Landmark Closes


It appears on my latest drive-bys that the doors of the already abandoned looking Cimarron Club have closed for good. The rusty marquee is gone- the one that usually spelled out the exciting happenings like "Sexy Back Contest Tonight" or "com hav a drink with us" (I think they ran out of e's.) This club on the "Forgotten Corner of Mobile" has been a landmark for years and years. Mainly as the shadiest-looking-crusty-broken-window bar in the city. It says "members only" on the doors, and that has always made me wonder about what it would take to become a member of the Cimarron Club. Anyway, I imagined what they would put on the marquee if they had announced their closing like in You've Got Mail, when the landmark children's bookstore closed after 50 years- here is what I've come up with:
After (number) years and too many bloody drunken brawls
and police interventions to count
we are closing our doors
Maybe they'll put a Walgreens here
Thanks for being a part of our lives

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad, isn't it?

Jessie said...

I think that would be a great sign. Maybe you could put it on poster board and hang it for them...

Danny and Jennifer White said...

I laughed out loud reading this. I have seen some very interesting things while riding by this club!