Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sense and Sensibility




Last weekend was a busy weekend, with Ruthie's 3rd birthday party and our 2nd annual Military Mardi Gras Ball that night. First of all, I can't believe Ruthie is three. That seems so old to me. My baby girl has certainly been replaced by a precocious little girl who wants to do everything by herself. If you ask Ruth what her favorite movie is she says "and Sensibility," or Sense and Sensibility- the adaptation of Jane Austen's novel. I love this. And it happened, not by my indoctrination but because she happened to wake up from a nap and come upon me watching the movie and she saw a baby, and that was it. She was hooked. Now she sits and watches parts of it, and knows the characters by name. I had to introduce Pride and Prejudice (the 2 hour version) because I was becoming weary of the Dashwoods, and probably reciting scenes in my sleep. Now we have "dance parties" or "balls" and she is Lizzie and I am Mr. Darcy or Jane. I love that she is able to sit and watch these movies (not in their entirety in one sitting, by any means) because they are such wonderful character studies and full of history and culture. Not that there is anything wrong with "Finding Nemo" or any Disney movies, but there is much to be said for an early introduction to classic literature, even in the form of a movie. Ruth is already a bibliophile, and I think her favorite movies are a reflection of that love.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Whoa - hot mama - I love the straight hair. We should let Georgia and Ruthie play sense and sensibility together. They would be precious and amusing!

Merrill said...

i know it, I've gotta figure out how I can come in March or April-or you might be too busy with support raising-