Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Crawler Top Ten





Our Christmas tree is officially under siege. Harris has been crawling for about two weeks, just in time to launch an all-out assault on the huge sparkly tree with presents underneath.
10. Notice Ruthie's hands, ready to snatch Harris away. Notice also that Harris is wearing his stripey hospital hat, looking rather gangsta. Ruthie picked his outfit and she wanted him to wear it.
9. Harris has ripped wrapping paper off two gifts, removed the bow from one, and spit up on one.
8. Note the words BEEP BEEP on his bootie. Very appropriate. He should have a warning siren as well.
7. The best treat he's found on the floor yet was a dead cricket. He chewed on it for a few minutes before I discovered it and dug it out of his mouth, small creepy parts at a time. Shudder. Awful. Ruthie reminded me that John the Baptist ate locusts. True. Thank you Miss- Know-it-All-Sweet Daughter.
6. Harris is still a nasty spitter-upper. This and the fact that we have carpet on the level where we are most of the day means, I have become a constant carpet cleaner. Seriously, I hated carpet before, now I despise it. I clean up an average of 5 spots a day. It makes me want to not feed the kid bright veggies and fruits either. Dear Lord, I want wood floors for Christmas. But I am a renter, ruining someone else's carpet. I guess that is a consolation.
5. Baby proofing all over again has been quite a challenge. I am trying to drill this into the older kids' heads too. PICK UP the crayons and other little kid debris that could KILL your baby brother. Please.
4. In addition to the Christmas Tree, Harris also finds himself strangely drawn to the gas fireplace located in the playroom. Thank goodness it has a screen built in to the front.
3. I love getting down on the floor and making Harris laugh and watching him come to me. So sweet!
2. He has not attempted the stairs yet. Note to self: get baby gate ASAP. Once the tree is down I bet he'll discover the stairs.
1. Harris is crawling sooner than Ruth or Mac did. He feels like he has to work a bit harder to catch up to where his big sis and bro are. It won't be long!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

So glad that Ruthie is there to remind you of John the Baptist's cuisines. :) Maybe she should have picked Harris out a camel hair outfit to wear instead.

The McNeills said...

I love the top 10 list. Isn't this age so much fun? I had really forgotten how much they get into! We have just skipped presents under the tree altogether. They will all magically appear Christmas morning simply for the reason of preserving my sanity through the Christmas season!

Merrill said...

hilarious! Yes, I have pondered the removal of gifts, but they look so pretty I'm fighting for them!

Donna said...

We also do not have presents under the tree (all in daddy's car)because of our little "beep beep". I could have written this post. Minutes ago I told Marky- if I see one more light bright thingy on the floor I will throw it all away- you brother could die! Please work with me big kids!

Jessie said...

The John the Baptist quote is great. I love it! And I have to say that I am more thankful than I can express for wood floors. Claire isn't even allowed on the rugs. My big kids tell it to everyone who comes over: "Clairey isn't allowed to go on our rug because she pukes so much." Nice. But carpet would be so much worse...at least it is someone else's!