Monday, December 07, 2009

Snow Day!





The weather-guessers, as Jay and I call meteorologists, got it right on Saturday. It snowed all day long, starting around 11:00, right when we were at TISCOM's (USCG base where Jay works) Children's Christmas party. Santa arrived in a flurry of flurries to give out presents, and the kids and I went on a carriage ride with the flakes falling thickly (one horse open carriage?).
The snow was very wet and only accumulated an inch or so, not the best for playing, but great for the kids to run around in and for me to see out the window as I finished my Christmas decorating. I love the hush that accompanies a good snow, a sort of muffled stillness that surrounds you as the flakes hurry past. There is also a muted brightness, gray and white, that is very singular to a snowfall. We can't wait for our next one- hopefully a good packing snow on Christmas Eve!
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white!



4 comments:

The McNeills said...

What a great way to describe it. I've never really put to words the sound and feeling that is falling snow. Muffled stillness... that's it, perfectly.

Merrill said...

thanks Jenny!

Jennifer said...

where is your coat young lady?

Jessie said...

I'm so glad you moved, Merrill. Your new life becomes you so. Not to be insensitive to all the people and places you loved in Mobile, of course, I know that is hard, but you seem so happy and engaged in this new time and place.