Saturday, January 22, 2011

Happy 6th Birthday Ruthie!

Ruthie's birthday was last weekend, and we celebrated with some of her friends. It was a Colonial Girl Tea Party complete with petit fours, Shrewsbury Cakes (sugar cookies), fresh strawberries and Queen Cakes (Cupcakes). We served Liberty Tea (Raspberry Lemonade) since we are Patriots and boycotting tea. Ruthie was a lovely hostess, and served tea to her guests with perfect decorum.




We played Parlor games such as "Hide the Thimble" and "Pass the Ring;" games that little girls in the 1700s would have played. There was even an impromptu dance party, inspired by the beautiful music and sugary treats, no doubt.

The girl's table, daintily set with primroses, china and crystal. I found small cut glass punch cups at Goodwill since I didn't have any demitasse tea cups. Each girl got to take home a doily, a colonial mob cap, and a necklace they made.


Here is Ruthie, demonstrating the art of the curtsy with friends Mella and Campbell.



Would you take more tea? Yes, thank you.
I absolutely love Ruthie's interest in Colonial times, thanks to the Felicity American Girl Books, and our multiple visits to Mt. Vernon. We are planning a trip to Williamsburg in the spring and I hope that will inspire even more learning for the children.
I also absolutely love sweet Ruthie, our big six year old girl!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Ruthie! I can't believe you are already six!!

The McNeills said...

What a sweet party. Happy Birthday, Ruthie! Williamsburg is down our way....let us know when you're coming and we'll meet you there! :)

Meri said...

I've always loved your dress-up theme parties, Merrill! Looks like Ruthie got your wonderful imagination! So glad she had such a fun party!:~) Happy Birthday, Ruthie!:~)

Merrill said...

Thanks everyone! Jenny- I would love for our families to get together! It will be in late April or May-I'll definitely let you know.

Kelli Hodges said...

Merrill, I love this party. Wish I could have been there with Alli. Can't believe Ruthie is 6. She is such an amazing little girl and I am so proud to be her aunt.

Jessie said...

Yay! Looks perfectly lovely! Happy 6th to Ruth!

Mirinda said...

This is so precious :) They all look so sweet....love it!