Tuesday, July 05, 2011

"Girls Make History" Day at the Navy Museum

The National Museum of the Navy is located at the Navy Yard in DC, and we went recently to a special event they put on that was built around the American Girl Dolls.  Yes, it seems that is all we do lately, but really it is just coincidental that they happened two weekends in a row.  I think.  We've been wanting to check out the museum anyway and it seemed a good way to engage Ruthie.  It really was an amazing event- the volunteers were so helpful and welcoming, and they had so many cool crafts that tied each American Girl Doll's historical period to Naval history. I was told this museum does monthly events for homeschoolers during the school year so we will definitely check those out. 

 Anchors Aweigh!

The museum has lots of "hands-on" displays that the boys loved. 


Even the boys got involved in making Addy's (the Civil War era doll) Newspapers, with stamps of boats and cannons.

 Ruthie's sweet friends Julia and Maggie were there too!

We toured the USS Barry which is docked near the museum.


P.S. The day after we were there, a girl I knew at our church in Mobile messaged me on Facebook, saying she thought she saw me at the Navy Yard in DC, and was it me?  Chalk up another Kevin Bacon.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

not coincidental...providential. What kind of presbyterian are you?

Merrill said...

oh well, you know what I mean. I guess I'm a lapsed presbyterian.