Monday, July 12, 2010

Go Cubs!

Ok, I promise, two more posts and I'm done with Chicago. If you want a play by play of our trip, if my gratuitous blogging is not satisfying you, check out my friend Jen's blog. She was the mastermind and the planner behind our trip, which she did just wonderfully. Here we go.

Ahhh, baseball in the summer, what could be more fun, more American? Baseball at Wrigley Field. I love this stadium- it reminds me of the way baseball used to be. Not an advertisement every square inch of the stadium, just an ivy covered outfield wall. And they actually have an organ player that plays the little tunes throughout the game. And the scoreboard? There is a guy who actually changes the numbers on it from inside. There were 35,000 people there. On a Monday night, playing the Pirates (I was told they are the worst team in the league right now). It was perfect weather too. We were actually freezing. I'll say if I had had a sweatshirt it would have been perfect weather. And this was the end of June!

One of my favorite parts was listening to the guys hawking food and beer. They each had their own distinctive cry:

"Cooooold Beer. Old Style."
"Buuuudweiser. Budlight."
"Get your hot dogs. Get your hot dogs."
"Peanuts! Pistachios. Cotton Candy."
"Ice cold beer! Ice cold beer."
"Hot DOGS! Hot DOGS!"

Sad to say, the Cubs lost. But they lost with a lot of hometown support!



Check out the sign at a tavern across from Wrigley Field. No Pirate booty was kicked, however.






Shay, Me, Jen, and Katie







Oh yeah!

2 comments:

The McNeills said...

What a fun weekend. I like the Chicago posts because that's where my hubby is from and we've had lots of good memories there. Our first kiss was just outside the Planetarium by Navy Pier. Good times. :)

Merrill said...

oh that is such a sweet memory!