Thursday, July 08, 2010

Lagniappe

Lagniappe is a Cajun word meaning "something extra." It usually has a positive connotation as far as I have heard, and it is pronounced LAN-Yap. Some examples would be when you eat at the Dew Drop Inn in Mobile, Alabama and you order fries, well, they throw in a huge greasy wonderful onion ring. A lagniappe. Or if you are walking on the beach, enjoying the sand and surf, and then you come upon a mother turtle crawling up the beach to lay her eggs- stunning! Unexpected! A lagniappe.

This brings me to the lagniappe I had thrown on my plate that same week of my birthday. My friend from college, Jenny, wrote on my Facebook wall and mentioned that she was in Fort Walton Beach, and was I close enough for a visit! I was so excited and I responded, and then Christine, another friend from la universidad must have been Facebook stalking (busted!) and she piped up and said she was in FWB too! Ay caramba! So we met up the next day and it was so good to see these friends and catch up. They were literally a couple hotels away from each other and had no idea! And they say Facebook is a waste of time. This was a neat-o "extra" for my trip South- something that would've been hard to plan. I am thankful for it!

Here are 6 out of 7 of my and Jenny's kids (is that grammar crazy? not sure how else to say it). Not pictured; Jenny's 6-month old Micah. It was so funny to see all these kids that came out of our bodies. Sometimes that still strikes me as CRAZY! From L to R: Charlie, Mac, Isaac, Ju-Ju (Jordan), Harry, and Ruthie.


Me and Jenny, self portrait.

Jenny, Harry, Me and Christine! A Beta 2 reunion of sorts...Oh the memories.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

How happy!