Friday, July 09, 2010

Letter to Chicago

Dear Chi-town,

I hope you don't mind me calling you by your nickname, but I really felt that we became well acquainted on my recent visit. I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed my visit, along with my husband and the three other couple-friends we came with, namely in the way of gustatory enjoyment.

Chicago Dogs- delicious, and I consider myself a bit of a hot-dog connoisseur. I usually opt for a simple beef dog with a hearty bun and very spicy mustard, but I love the texture and flavors of the Chicago Dog, particularly the one we enjoyed from Portillo's: mustard, dill pickle, onions, tomatoes, relish, celery salt and Sport Peppers- not to mention the strange but interesting poppy seed bun. Moving on the the Deep Dish pizza.




It was definitely deep and worth dishing about. The crust was a perfection of crispy dough, not greasy, but very filling. The tomato sauce was rich and flavorful- perfect with the mozzarella and fresh toppings. Mr. Malnati is certainly a pizza aficionado, and correct in letting us know that a fork is the only way to indulge in a true Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.

As for our other food experiences, I did have a wonderful burger at the Pub where we celebrated our friend Brandon's 30th birthday. It was such a memorable dinner- especially with the drunken Irish men at the bar singing at the top of their lungs. Just like the home country.

I think I experienced the wide array of your excellent cuisine at the Taste of Chicago Festival. I have never seen a festival like it. Guacamole and gyros, pad thai and pizza; the whole city was represented. I will never forget the watermelon Italian Ice- it was delectable, especially on such a hot day.

And we can't forget the legendary popcorn from Garrett's. I have never seen such big popcorn kernels- and so rich and buttery! I was just sad that it leaked in my bag and got some unremovable stains on my new Cubs shirt. (When I was boarding my plane at O'Hare to return home the lady in front of me had a big bag of Garrett's popcorn. When the Gate Lady scanned her boarding pass she said seriously, "You can't take this on board, you're gonna have to leave it with me." The lady complied, and the Gate Lady laughed and said, "Just kidding!" The popcorn lady and I walked down the jetway laughing and saying, "That was just wrong!" She told me her husband had told her not to come home from Chicago without some Garrett's. If it had been a more uptight lady there would have been a throw-down right there at the gate. Hence the power of well-popped pop-corn.)


So thank you, Chicago, for sharing your cuisine and opening your table to us. It was a feast, not only for the stomach, but for the soul as well, as we spent time with our friends. You are awesome.

Merrill Hodges

P.S. Tell Skidmore and Owings I said hi.

No comments: