Friday, July 17, 2009

Bedtime Emergencies


Who? Ruthie


What? falling out of her bed


Injury involved? busting her chin and cracking one of her rear molars


Where? antique bed, pretty high off the ground, hardwood floors below


When? 3 a.m. two Saturday nights ago


Treatment? 5 stitches




Who else? Mac


What? string from blanket tightly wrapped around index finger, cutting into finger


Injury Involved? loss of circulation to end of finger, possible loss of finger if no intervention (not sure about this but it sounds logical to me)


Where? big boy bed


When? Wednesday night


Treatment? hugs and kisses, scissors to cut string




Mac's wins the Most Bizarre Bedtime Emergency Award. I discovered his finger because I went in to check on him when I was going to bed and I noticed he was sweaty so I tried to pull his cozy car blanket off of him. It kept lifting up his arm, and I couldn't get it off of him- then I saw what had happened. I tried to unwind it gently without waking him, but it was so tight that I had to really work at it and call Jay for scissors. Mac woke up and started screaming and wrestling around, but we managed to get it off and calm him down. Craziness.




Ruthie was very brave at the ER, she only screamed and cried out for mommy when they were giving her the shot to numb the area. Poor baby.


3 comments:

Jessie said...

next time demand the gel...no shot necessary!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mac and Ruthie,

I hope your finger and chin feel better. I love you so much. I would really like to come up there soon. I will run to you when I come visit.

I love you,
Becca Steedley
(dictated to her mom)

Love getting to catch up with your life on your blog. Miss you -- Shay

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me...you do everything humanly possible to childproof your home, and the little ones come up with off-the-wall injuries in spite of your grandiose efforts of protection. I'm so happy that you went in to check on Mac. Tell Ruthie that I had 5 stitches in my chin when I was 5. We match now. Thank the Lord continually for guardian angels...they work overtime for kids.
Love you guys.
Sally