Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Weekend Fun

One of the first places I've wanted to go since moving here is REI (Recreational Equipment Inc)- a store that has been one of my favorites since I was a child. My dad was one of the early co-op members, back when we lived on Whidbey Island, WA, near Seattle, in the late 70s. There are REIs all over the place now, but the nearest ones when we lived in Mobile were Houston or Atlanta. We took the kids to the one in Falls Church and they loved it! What kid wouldn't when there are colorful bikes and backpacks, shoes and tents, kayaks and carabiners to be investigated. I bought some fruit leathers (a yummy hiking snack with good potassium to ward off cramps) and a book with some hikes in this area so we can get ready to hit some trails. I scoped out some great Merrells and Tevas and Keens too.

On Sunday we had a picnic down by the Potomac River. There is a great 18 mile paved trail for biking, walking, running etc. that runs from Mt. Vernon to DC. We live basically around the corner from Mt. Vernon, so we can easily access this great trail. We ate dinner and then strapped the kids into the strollers and walked for a while. We saw people of all ages, including some way too serious bikers that could really kill a man- they come around those curves so fast. Ruthie and Mac loved it, and we saw some wildlife- a heron out in the water, a groundhog munching on the grassy shore, and several birds and squirrels. Jay and I are so excited to be so close to this wonderful trail and the parks to which it connects. I also keep thinking how beautiful it is going to be in the fall. They have fall here.

(see the little man popping out of Jay's head? Must be his conscience. I know you can't tell, but this picnic table was on the side of a hill and it was slanted- we called it our lopsided picnic. This gave me an idea for a children's book...)

6 comments:

nick, robyn and taylor said...

How fun! Nick will be green with envy when he reads this post. I can't wait to see more pictures and hear about this "fall" you speak of. :) And I can't wait to buy your children's books!

Brandon said...

I too love REI, and can say that I have personally set foot in that exact store you have photographed.

Your lopsided picnic looked fun, and I can't wait to read the book.

Jennifer and I miss you guys so much!

Anonymous said...

The Hodges are missed in Mobile AL; we Stokes, Kelvin, Teresa, Amy, Andrew, & Baxley, wish you all well in your new place. Love your blog! Teresa Stokes

nick, robyn and taylor said...

Cute new background, by the way!

Merrill said...

thanks yous guys! We miss miss miss our Mobileites so much! Thanks for the note Stokes fam. I was just thinking about your advice on waiting to decide about having more kids after 3...Harris has been so fussy and we feel babied out! But I keep thinking about what you said.

Anonymous said...

Hey, this REI is about 7 minutes from where I live in Falls Church!!!

Cara