Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Dairy Godmother







Mac potty trained himself last week, (glory be!) so we all went to get some frozen custard at the cute little custard shop called, to Ruthie's delight, the Dairy Godmother. It is to be found in the trendy old Del Ray neighborhood in Alexandria. The custard is delightfully smooth and creamy, not to mention delicious. (I have decided that a huge part of my enjoyment of food is based on texture.) Mac got a banana milkshake which was lovely too. I am now on their email list so I can know the flavor of the week. Some recent flavors include Tollhouse Cookie, Mexican Chocolate, and I can't wait for these upcoming flavors: Oatmeal Cinnamon Cookie and Carrot Cake! Holy cow!
Apparently Obama came here this summer with his girls, and they have a chair that says "Obama sat here" with the date. Ruthie wanted to sit in it, as she has become very interested in Hobama, as she calls him. I guess its hard not to be political here so close to DC, even for a 4 year old. She knows he has two girls and wants to be friends with them too. That is bi-partisanship if you ask me! Maybe Congress should take a cue from little Ruthie. Why can't we all get along?
(If you check out the Dairy Godmother website and click on Liz's Approach, there is a great little mini-article about "third places" in our communities that have disappeared as a result of urbanization. I love doing my small part in supporting small business enterprise in my community so these "third places" will thrive! )

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Mac looks exactly like you in that picture!

Maybe Ruthie should invite Obama's girls over for a playdate?

And lets hear it for "third places" never heard that term, but its definitely one of the biggest things I love about my home, too!

Merrill said...

It's nice to hear one of my children looks like me, if even for a moment!