Saturday, October 31, 2009

October Selection for Children's BOTM

This month's book is called "Just Like Floss" by Kim Lewis. This is a charming story about a new litter of Border Collie pups born on a farm, and how the children decide which one to keep to help out with the sheep. I love Lewis's beautiful, detailed illustrations of farm life in England. She actually lives on a farm in Northumberland and draws her inspiration from her everyday life. I also love the stories about Border Collies because my family has had two Border Collies, Chessie (no longer with us, but who looked just like Floss) and Nip, who still lives with my parents in Florida.
I just found this one on Kim Lewis's website, and I had to share it because it goes so well with my last post!
This is one we own- it is a wonderful story of a lamb that gets lost from its Ma, but reunited thanks to the help of Floss. I also love the shepherd in this book, he is gentle and wise, and leads Floss with great care as he helps Ma and Baa reunite.

Stay tuned for some great Thanksgiving books in November, both of which have recipes that you can make with your children. I promise I will post them before Thanksgiving!

No comments: