Monday, October 19, 2009

Sunny and High of 59

The five days of rain are past. It is amazing to me how much the sun or lack thereof affects my mood. I like this quote by English essayist Joseph Addison- (and I wonder if I could ever live in the Arctic circle, or Seattle. I seriously depend on Vitamin D it seems.)

"A cloudy day or a little sunshine have as great an influence on many constitutions as the most recent blessings or misfortunes."

It is so true, but it makes me wish I were more constant, less affected by physical things. Like Harris being up so much in the night last night, pain in my knees, or days of gloomy rain.

This brings me to two of my favorite things about God that go together really. His immutability and self-existence. Unchanging-ness and un-neediness. He is not affected by the weather, the political climate or hair loss. He does not need oxygen to survive, or food to keep him alive. He is all he needs. He does not grow tired or weary and mouth off at people. He does not get depressed. He is steady and true, He depends on nothing but himself to thrive and survive. This is so attractive to me, one, because I am not that way, and two, because I can fall on him as my rock, my anchor, my sustenance. And I really need an anchor because "the sea is so wide, and my boat is so small." And I really need sustenance because I am weak and frail.

1 comment:

The McNeills said...

I need a T-shirt with that quote on it. So true for me too. Thanks for the encouragement!